Sunday, September 13, 2026

And we think WE have it hard...

While it is true I rarely take pictures of people, it does happen occasionally. These people were so remarkable in their work and craft, they had to be documented (with their permission). Spinning by hand was still a major craft in the 1980s, just as loom weaving was, and I hope it still is. I'm bragging a bit, but when I came upon the spinner, she was astounded that I knew how to do it and watched in amazement when she let me take a turn. She didn't let me disrupt the work she had started, but allowed me to use a drop spindle she was just finishing up. Here is the expert at work:


Note the dog supervising. This man is not actually spinning wool, but he is prepping already spun wool for use and was not part of the spinning group.


Another amazing craft is making umbrellas. They are so intricate and the art is sublime because of painstaking work and talent.


This is not a craft, but a life necessity, and the tiny woman who is carrying this bundle is one astounding human being. I won't say the obvious -- okay I will. Those who mock the strength of women need to take a hard look at this.




No comments:

Post a Comment