Monday, April 27, 2020

Excitement and drama all wrapped up in one little...chicken.

Yup. A pretty little white and gray chicken appeared in my critter area yesterday. First thoughts -- gotta catch her to keep her from being another hit and run statistic on the street we like to call killer alley. Grabbing my critter rescue towel, I gently eased the side door open and stepped out. Got about three steps off the stoop and saw a flash of white running away. She was fast. Reluctant to give chase, both because of the dangerous street and the fact that, let's face it, I'm no Usain Bolt at this point, I let her do her thing.

I belong to Nextdoor and having been a long-time gawker decided it was time to add my 2 cents on the site. What better post than an escaped chicken. I hoped a chicken whisperer would come along and coax the little beauty out. Or the chicken guardian would realize their darling had flown the coop. So I posted. First in lost and found. Then again, because why not spread the love?

Half hour later, I guess she decided she liked my yard better than the neighbor's, she comes strutting back. This time though she heads into what I fondly refer to as the thicket -- an area planted with everything sharp and pointy as possible: cactus, aloe, agave, and some jade plants to make it look less threatening. As I'm thinking of calling animal control for help, a woman walks up to the corner. "Have you seen a chicken?" I inquire. "Yes and I'm here to help you catch her" she replies. Just then a man jumps out of his car and strides purposely toward the thicket. I call to him, "Does that chicken belong to you?" The woman replies laughing, "No he's my boyfriend." It suddenly dawned on me that goodhearted neighbors were responding to my latest urgent post on Nextdoor. Because why post twice when you can make a total fool of yourself and Urgent post a third time in increasingly strident language. Which worked! While they're trying to figure out a way to flush out the bird, I'm on the phone to the humane society talking to an officer I swear is trying not to laugh. The upshot of the conversation was, quite understandably, but disappointingly, they couldn't spare an officer for what was basically an impossible task. Fair enough. 

My fabulous Nextdoor friends (because that's how I think of them now) and I realized the sheer futility of wrangling the chicken from the thicket, so the woman suggested I try using a dog crate with seed inside to lure the chicken in. Worth a shot, though it would mean I would have to be nearby to slam the door shut. So out came the crate and the seed and me sitting motionless to watch her scooting around into impossible places. She was far too smart for me -- which is saying something for a chicken -- and she was all too aware I was there and what my plan was. So as nighttime approached, I left, hoping she would seek the crate out as a safe roost for the night and we would have a happy ending. No joy. I didn't see her later that night when I took the big bear (my dog) for a walk. Sigh.

This morning first thing I sprang out of bed (that NEVER happens) and went to the thicket. Sure enough, she's strutting around. Catchable - no. But looking very perky. Ah, I thought, a water bowl near the crate will lure her closer. Nope. And then, when I went back to check later in the morning - no chicken anywhere! No spillage of feathers indicating an attack by a predator, but no chicken. No chicken this afternoon -- not a sign. Soooo, theories. The chicken's human had found her; persons unknown kidnapped her; she just decided to move on down the road. Your guess is as good as mine. I just hope she's OK and living her best chicken life.

No comments:

Post a Comment