Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Potted Plants Solve a Delicate Problem

Well, if you'll recall from 2 posts ago I mentioned, not without some pride, that after 5 years I finally planted some flowers in the iron bed in my side yard. Yup - well that lasted all of a month. Today I realized they weren't thriving and as with so many of my cunning plans, it had gone south. Now, I'm nothing if not flexible when it comes to my gardening faux pas, so I decided to pot them in an array of pots on my back steps.

Before you go thinking I've gone over to the twee side of cute, I will explain that the pots serve a very important purpose. My 16 year old Shih Tzu, Sassy, has trouble navigating the stairs to get to and from the yard. She's OK going down, but I noticed that she has a tendency to try and swan off the stairs when she comes up. One night she almost took a header and only swift action on my part saved her from landing on her head. To avoid future acrobatics, I took a bunch of flower pots and lined the stairs to guide her. Well they looked forlorn with nothing in them. So today I planted the lot with some of the marigolds that were struggling in the flower bed and hope to nurse them into full glory on the steps. And yes, before you say anything, one of these days I'll get around to tiling the steps. But give me a break -- it's only been 20 years since they were put in.

Now, just because puttering with pots is truly not my style, of course I had to do some ripping up of weeds and such. There is a corner of my front garden that I've made major changes to twice. Well, maybe the third time will be the charm. So halfway weeded:

And fully de-nuded and ready for ????. Well yes, of course I have an idea, but making my ideas work is often another story. I will say that it involves a Rose Parade float part and after that - who knows?

Now for something completely different. The worst part of the pandemic is STILL not being able to fuss over all my dog buddies going by and getting to meet all the new dogs being walked. How is one supposed to resist all the furry cuteness and not do an enthusiastic meet and greet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment