Sunday, December 13, 2020

Too cold for tiling, but not cold enough to keep me from craziness

As I've mentioned before, the weather has to cooperate for doing mosaics or any tiling outdoors. If it's too cold to even wash the tile to prep for cutting, then it's too cold to actually get creative. So I turn to other activities to move other projects along. On a whim yesterday I decided to tackle the infamous thicket behind the mosaic planter box. It needed a good clearing out (just how much I'm still not sure) to realize my cunning plans for it's future look. Well, as whims go, not a bad idea. 

I happily started on clearing out the plastic and cardboard I put over cactus roots so they would die off and not re-sprout. So long to the large, decaying jade plants that were carelessly tossed in the area after the first clearing out to make way for the planter box. But here's where I should've stopped and been content. More cactus needed to be cut back. As always, the idea is to keep the most distance between me and cactus as possible. In this case, a loooong pole with a saw blade. To get the cuttings into a pile and the large tub for disposal (unlike jade and other soft plants, cactus is not allowed in yard waste bins) a long rake and shovel were used. Clever right? It seems no matter how carefully planned, cactus spines find their way into my skin. There must be something in the laws of physics that defends against such perfidy, but it doesn't work! 

That aside, now the only decisions are whether to cut back more jade or leave as is and work around it for my art installation. BTW: "art" is probably too strong a word for what I hope to do, but it sounds classier than putting stuff in made from rusted barrel hoops and other cast-offs. So yeah, we'll go with art.

So this is the thicket mess before clean-up:


The area cleared enough to make more decisions:

It's gonna be a long slog.



No comments:

Post a Comment