Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Entitled neighbors

As an animal lover (or fanatic if you talk to neighbors), and especially a dog connoisseur, one of the things I appreciate about my neighborhood are the amazing people (and dogs) I get to meet. Turns out, some of them are very particular in their preferences. You remember Nick (who is the cutest thing on four legs anywhere):

Well Nick's Mom is not only a wonderful all-round person, but she is also very droll. This is a text exchange we had not long ago:

I noticed the absence of a basket for Nick to ride with you on your bike. What does he have to say about that?!?      

Nick objects anytime I leave the house without him, so the lack of a basket has been a source of contention between us. I'm thinking I need one of those doggie bike trailers with a big flag on the back so I can chauffeur him around in style.           

Ah. Great idea. Oh, Nick just texted me to tell you the trailer needs to be air-conditioned for the summer and heated for winter.       

Noted! Nick has also informed me the bike trailer is to be crafted from South Indian sandalwood by Amish artisans in eastern Ohio using only dovetail and mortise and tenon joinery. Working on it!

Nobody ever accused him of having bad taste. The boy is a true aristocrat. 

Somehow, knowing my incredible neighbor, I fully expect to see Nick riding in style soon. Or not. But Nellie and I will still see them walking around from time to time and we always look forward to our conversations. 


    


1 comment: