Sunday, March 14, 2021

FINALLY blooming in SoCal

As if this year hasn't been bad enough, we're really behind on rain, which is pushing already dry areas into serious drought territory. The news, which used to spend every broadcast on rain levels, has pretty much glossed over the other apocalypse SoCal faces on the regular. I get it -- people are tired of bad news, the pandemic has frayed capacity for dealing with multiple bad scenarios, and water shortages have always been a hide-your-head-in-the-sand issue anyway. 

The good news is, we are finally getting some rain, and though California gardens will never rival East Coast or Midwest gardens for lots of lush color, some of the gardens in the neighborhood are starting to pop. Though mostly succulent and cactus gardens are merely different shades of green most of the year, we do get some striking color combos in spring. Here are a few:

I had to laugh when I saw this picture -- note my 2 canes I use as walking sticks:



Now, completely off the subject of gardens and bright colors, the Divine Ms. M, to whom I email my daily trips around the neighborhood, both near and far, suggested I post pictures of all the dogs I meet. But here's the thing: the majority are behind hedges and weird fences, so I don't actually get a good look - we just chat through the fence. By chat I mean they are barking/yipping like crazy and I'm telling them what great dogs they are and that they're gorgeous. BTW, that sometimes even works to stop them from yelling at me. They like compliments just as people do. Other dogs I meet are being walked by folks who are often in a hurry and think it's a bit weird that I want to stop and meet them (the dog that is). Most folks are obliging, and some even enjoy telling me about their fur-babies, and pulling out the phone for pictures seems a bit over the top, even for me. But today I got lucky. I ran into an old friend. She's gorgeous, sweet as they come, knows I always carry cookies for her, and at 17, has still definitely got IT. Meet Sydney:

If you think she looks a bit like a daintier, sweeter version of my big bear, you're spot on.



1 comment:

  1. I love the variations of the succulents and native plants in your neighborhood. And Sydney looks like a sweetheart. Your photography is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete