Monday, March 1, 2021

I'm a new mom! Foster mom that is.

Birthdays for me are just another day but  this year was a teensy bit different. Leave it to friends to know exactly how to celebrate. One knows that cupcakes with heavy frosting (since that's the best part) were the way to go. And the other baked a loaf of her amazing banana bread. But where the Divine Ms. M (not to be confused with Bette Midler) really made my day was making me a foster mom of...an elephant. An orphaned baby elephant to be exact. The best part is, I don't have to feed him, walk him, or more importantly, pooper scoop after him. His name is Roho and he was rescued in Kenya by the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, an amazing group that rescues and rehabilitates injured and orphaned wildlife. Their main focus is anti-poaching efforts and habitat conservation, because most of their orphans are from poachers. I urge any and all to check them out at sheldrickwildlifetrust.org. So here is Roho:


I was so smitten with Roho and the idea of fostering, I added Apollo, a baby rhino. 

Now, I'm not new to adopting critters of all kinds. Dogs are my go to, but I also have an unusual colony that helps compost kitchen scraps into what are euphemistically called castings, but are in reality, worm poop. Great for the garden. I confess I have no idea how many worms are in the bin, but I cherish them all. And I bet there isn't anyone else out there who can say they have a worm bin in their shower stall. Yes, it's a bit weird but then what are you going to do to keep them warm in winter and cool in summer? I take my responsibilities seriously doggone it.





No comments:

Post a Comment