Monday, May 31, 2021

Archway to hidden lands?

Have you noticed that even if you walk down the same street multiple times, there's always something new to see if you just bother to look? And the change of seasons, though not particularly as defined in SoCal as other regions of the country, still have their signature looks to announce them. Right now, honeysuckle is everywhere, and in addition to adding to the pollen count, it's creating an abundance of blooms and bees -- both very good things. Mostly the vines adorn fences, adding privacy and beauty. When I saw the arch over the garden entrance, though, all I could imagine is the doorway taking one to an enchanted land of hobbits or elves or wizards. Where would you like your enchanted door to go?

This year, more than past years, there seems to be an explosion of cactus blooms. They fascinate me because of their delicate beauty in stark contrast to the very thorny creature they spring from.


Just to prove there are gardeners and then there is moi, below is what I believe is an iris, abundant in so many gardens. Years ago, when I was still posturing as an actual gardener, I planted some so a corner of my critter cafÄ— area would be a focal point of beautiful blossoms. Yeah. Well, that didn't work. I maybe get one or two blossoms from the wonderfully lush green. That's it. But someone a couple blocks away has what was supposed to be happening in my corner. Clearly they know what they're doing. Enjoy.






1 comment:

  1. I have a Saguaro cactus or perhaps it's a Cereus cactus and the flowers are so beautiful, but they only last 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete