Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Having a designer with impeccable taste helps

I have mentioned the abundance of rain has created a veritable jungle in the garden. Normally it would just be allowed to take over and do what it wanted, but one particular area off the back stairs had problems. Some of the geraniums had a rust and fungus (needed to be cut back), the hens and chickens were overpowering the Lantana, and whatever the delightful succulent in the middle is called, it was so lush you couldn't get to anything else. Having two useful rain barrels and a hose is important, so something needed to be done. 

Fortunately, my friend K volunteered her favorite designer to give me his opinion for how to proceed. Nick's advice was just what I needed. He suggested making pathways that opened up the space and created a more zen area than the current mayhem. That was accomplished fairly quickly, but then, as I looked at the dirt paths, well, it just didn't sit well. Now here's where it gets a little like a fairy tale. Pebbles would be perfect, but they are expensive and I knew the area would need multiple bags to cover it properly. 

To distract myself, I checked out NextDoor and lo and behold - free bags of pea gravel were just posted and they were only a two minute drive away! You've never seen someone jump in the car so fast. Made it. Then realized the bags were so doggone heavy I would probably put a hip out just getting them in the car. As luck would have it, the person giving the bags away came out to see who was talking to her cute little dog and I begged for help loading. She took pity because she could she that I'm an old biddy. Whew. It gets better though. Another woman had driven up to ask about a beautiful set of shelves being given away. As I was struggling with a bag of gravel, she walked over, grabbed a bag in each hand, lifted them like they were dandelions, and threw them in my car. She helped until all 17 bags were loaded and then, listening to my profuse thanks, happily loaded the shelves and drove off. 

Nick felt that river pebbles or pond pebbles, being larger and shinier, would be the perfect touch, but free is free. At least pea pebbles are round, not rough like regular gravel, and when wet are actually pretty colors. It took eleven bags to get the job done, and though Nick volunteered his person, K, to help out, my pride took over my brains and I did it myself. Paid for it the next day, but the sense of accomplishment was so terrific.

In addition to the cleanup and creating access to rain barrels, I decided to add a bit of whimsy that had become surplus to requirements in another area. Just couldn't resist the iron plant stand and golfer, even though golf is utterly alien to me as a sport.

A big thank you is in order to the designer of the hour, his majesty, Nick. And a bigger thanks to K for not only recommending his services, but translating for him as well.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment