Friday, March 22, 2024

The con artist next door

I have the kind of next door neighbors people envy. During COVID they happily went to Costco for us, before Costco came up with old geezer hours. Need something welded? Here, let me practice with that. BTW, that translates into, I'll do the job for free under the pretense I'm just practicing the craft. Need grass clippings to add to the compost pile? Here's a bin with your name on it that will appear in the driveway after every mowing. In other words, wonderful neighbors.

In return, I let their dog out when their crazy work schedules don't allow them to do that. Elvis is an American bully who can best be described as a lovable, lazy couch potato. He will only go outside under the most congenial (in his mind) circumstances. The sun has to create the perfect spots for him to lounge in. The temperature has to be between 65 - 75 degrees, and the wind factor can be no more than 3 mph gusts. He is a big cuddly love bug and he is also a con artist. Yes, I said it -- a con artist.

The other day I let him out of the house to perfect weather, but always keep an ear out for any barking to indicate he's ready to go back inside or something is stressing him out. After a couple of hours of lounging in the sun, he started barking. Ahhh, better check on him. Went to the gate and he was giving me the look that said he was ready to go back to bed (as if he hadn't already been snoozing all morning). OK. Opened the gate and he scampered off toward the steps to the door where I had parked his water bowl. Keeping his eyes on me the whole time, he lapped up water. Fine, I'm thinking. Now he'll run up the stairs and I'll tuck him in. NOPE. He just wanted an audience while he drank. He then sauntered off to another sunny spot and flopped down. Is he going to be the dog who cried wolf?

The con artist:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment