Saturday, August 8, 2020

Is this the never-ending story?

Our Ninja is broody again so I had the bright idea of trying to get her out of her nest (a toilet tank I wanted to use as a planter) by sprinkling her down with the hose like a gentle rainfall. Chicken experts said that water would cool her ardor for hatching. Didn't budge. Then I went over, looked her in the eye, and explained she needed to get out and eat and could she just move so she would be OK? Didn't budge - which was odd because previously when she knew we had spotted her nest she would give us a lot of lip and fly out. Familiarity breeds ennui? Don't know, but I guess I have to wait 'til she gets out to eat and then steal all her eggs. That just means I'll be doing the search-for-the-increasingly-hard-to-find-new-nest in a day or two. And we were doing so well with the mark one egg to leave in the nest and take one egg routine that kept her laying in one place. Apparently she can count to twelve even when there are no eggs present, and she feels a dozen means she has to hatch something. Whatever is going on in her head, she consistently outwits her humans without batting an eye.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment