Monday, August 17, 2020

The blessings of friends and longings for another furry companion

Another stealth gift left on my doorstep. Other than the mail carrier, this is the most action my stairs have seen since I've been here. M (you know who you are) left a beautiful gift of potted succulents and, here's where we cried, a framed picture of our little terminator Sassy. Her dear little face and the tiny rock owl will forever grace a table in the office, along with the other angels we have had the privilege to know and love.  

 
The plant in it's new home...


Looking at Sassy's face has prompted me to think seriously about saving another senior's life by adopting again. Our main concern always is our big bear Kuma. He's such a klutz, bless him, and doesn't know how strong he is. Age has slowed him down a tiny bit, but other than all the white hair that now adorns his beautiful face, you couldn't tell he's 13. He still behaves like the rather rambunctious 2 year old he was when he found us on the street. He's also enjoying (we think - not sure) his status as an only child. I say 'not sure' because he has decidedly become more clingy. No longer wants to hang out alone and will follow one or the other of us around the house. So anyone we bring home would have to have the right mix of chill and moxie. And as I would really like a snuggle bunny the size of Sassy, I worry a tad bit about the size dynamics. Looking through the various shelters, and seeing the number of senior dogs (in my mind a senior is 10 or more years), and the conditions of some of them (clearly neglected or abused), it just makes me want to go in and sweep out the kennel. My latest strategy is to request all friends and neighbors to dissuade me from doing anything rash too soon. They are not doing a very good job of that....


No comments:

Post a Comment