Monday, May 13, 2024

A bad situation with a happy ending

Picture this--three men following two loose dogs coming down the street. You might think you know where this is going, but wait for it....

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs (explained later). Case in point -- tonight's adventure could have turned out very badly. It didn't because the neighborhood rallies to help those in need, even if they have four legs and can't speak a human language. To begin at the beginning:

K, Nick, Nellie and I were meeting a wonderful new neighbor M, who has three adorable pups, Bruce, Dotty and Roger. As we were grilling M as to why he moved here from New York City (the weather of course), and were getting acquainted, suddenly two dogs appeared running toward us. Three men were calling to us to ask if we knew who the dogs were and where they belonged. As luck would have it, I was well acquainted with Patrón, the sweet, young, energetic Doberman, and Lucky, the snuggly, elderly Shepherd. I had the pleasure of their company in my backyard a couple of years ago after we managed to corral them when they were loose on my street. 

I called to Lucky and was able to convince him to come toward our group. K took Nellie and Nick out of the fray to minimize distraction since Patrón is a young unneutered male who can be a bit frisky. I always carry a slip lead with me when I'm out with my dogs and was able to leash Patrón quickly, but needed another lead for Lucky. Fortunately, M provided one immediately. Now here's where it gets super good. I walk with a cane and it was clear that handling two dogs for the rather long haul to their home was a no go. K was already dealing with Nick and Nellie. That's where one of the trio of guys who were concerned about the dogs stepped in. A and his five year old son decided to make it an adventure, and A took Patrón in hand while I took Lucky. 

Another twist. A was ahead with Patrón, but Patrón would stop and not move until Lucky caught up. As both Lucky and I are gimpy, he was mercifully slow, so Patrón kept a close eye on our progress. That was utterly unexpected and so endearing. Meanwhile, F, the five year old, and I were having a full on conversation about Lego Star Wars. Well, realistically, F did all the talking and I only interjected with encouraging words to keep him going. It was delightfully entertaining and kept me moving along at, what for me, was a fast clip.

Finally we made made it to their home to find the gate wide open. Pounded on the front door - no response. Just as we were about to start going around to the back house, a car pulled up, the people got out, and took the dogs in hand. I couldn't tell if they were out looking for their dogs or they just happened to come home. All they said was thank you and nothing else. No evidence of concern. In fact, they were a bit curt. I've had issues with them for how they treated Lucky in the past (not confrontational, just the stink-eye as we walked by), and I guess they have learned nothing since then. Dogs unneutered, unlicensed, and roaming around? Also, this was the second escape in two weeks. Not a good scenario. As I said, some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

We said our goodbyes and headed back to return the leash to M and rejoin our dog party, when M comes running up to us with a small gift for both A and me. What? Why? Because we rescued the dogs. I nearly cried that a brand new neighbor, a neighbor I've waved to but never really knew, and his son, were so thoughtful and kind. This is what makes this neighborhood special. Now I have to go bake some brownies to take to M, A, and F just so I'm not outdone in the kindness department!

2 comments:

  1. I love stories that show community working together to solve a problem. Thank you for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this story had a good ending. I'd be giving that owner the evil eye.

    ReplyDelete