Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Never leaving

I have a cranky reputation to maintain. Sometimes that's hard in the face of good neighbors. 

Even if they get enough people to sign the petition to run me out of the neighborhood, I'm not leaving because of people like this. I have a friend, N, who has been diagnosed with cancer. It's debilitating for her, and her yard, which she has nurtured for decades, is a bit out of control right now since she's bedridden. Enter L, who noticed the issue and volunteered to do some mowing, cutting back plants that have overgrown the sidewalk, and generally do some weed abatement just to keep it from getting out of hand. And here's the clincher. L doesn't even live on N's street. She noticed it while walking her dog. 

Now, I know what you're thinking. If I'm N's friend, and L doesn't even really know N that well, why have I not jumped to the task? L must be a young person who's eager to show the world that Gen Z or whatever is very willing to work in spite of all the press to the contrary. 

First, I can't keep up with my own yard given the afflictions of old age joints. Every day that I do a bit of weeding, trimming, or other cleanup activities, my joints scream in protest. Adding any other physically challenging chores to my already too long to do list is not feasible (other than occasional dog sitting).

Second, contrary to expectation, L is retired as well. She mentioned her back was complaining rather loudly after only a half hour of work, but she was still willing to help out any way she could. Now THAT'S a great human being. 

So again, this witch ain't leaving.


No comments:

Post a Comment