Thursday, May 9, 2024

Looks like blight but is actually very special

Cactus can look like it's diseased with these strange white lumps growing on their leaves. While it probably isn't great for the plant, those lumps are actually a very special insect called cochineal. What makes them special is that they are a natural dyers dream. Cochineal is used for a particularly rich red dye. It isn't an easy process, but the results are magical. At one time in my checkered past, I did quite bit of natural dyeing of the wool I spun by on my spinning wheel. Cochineal wasn't an option at the time, so marigolds were my favorite go to for a rich yellow-orange hue. Even if cochineal had been available to harvest, my natural reluctance to do more than absolutely necessary to get results would have precluded any attempts. As mentioned, cochineal harvest and processing is very complicated. So next time you pass a cactus that is covered with what looks like goo, bow down before it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment